Top 5 Benefits and Uses of Eucalyptus Oil
May 30, 2020
It’s exciting to witness the world slowly transitioning to a more health-conscious lifestyle. People are now eating healthier, choosing organic products over synthetic, factory-manufactured ones, and are becoming more critical as to the source of the items they are using.
We are heading towards a path that is both beneficial for our health promotion and at the same time, we are doing the planet we live in a huge favor by choosing natural and organic.
In line with this, we have also started to explore natural remedies for day-to-day illnesses such as your common cough, runny nose, some allergies, and inflammation relief. Fortunately, there are several natural options available to us, one of which is eucalyptus oil.
Eucalyptus Oil: An Introduction
If this is the first time you heard about Eucalyptus oils, worry not. We’re going to give you a brief background of this amazing plant.
Eucalyptus oils are extracted from the leaf of the eucalyptus tree. You might think: “Hey, this already sounds familiar?”, and you might be right. This is the same tree where koalas usually “hang out” and its leaves are part of a koala’s diet.
There are over 500 species of eucalyptus trees and most of them are native of Australia and its nearby islands. Some species were brought to the US after trade routes have been established. The eucalyptus tree has a lot of uses! Some more notable than others. For example, some cities have planted eucalyptus trees around lakes to drain it of its water (the place is prone to malaria outbreaks and the lake became a breeding ground for nasty mosquitoes).
Eucalyptus oil is extracted from leaves through a process called hydrodistillation. Basically, the leaves are crushed, then boiled, and you should be able to separate its oil from there.
Use and Benefits
Eucalyptus oil has a lot of applications for day-to-day use. Here are the Top 5 Uses and Benefits of Eucalyptus Oil:
1. Effective Anti-microbial and Anti-viral Disinfectant
- Eucalyptus Oil contains several components that have been scientifically-proven to inhibit the growth of micro-organisms, bacteria, and viri. This makes it an ideal, natural remedy to disinfect your home. Just use 20 drops of eucalyptus oil in your cleaner filled with water and use it to spray on surfaces.
2. Relieves Respiratory Symptoms
- Common colds and other respiratory symptoms are more prevalent nowadays and the existence of COVID-19 doesn’t make it any better. Eucalyptus oils offer relief from some respiratory symptoms by stimulating your immune system, providing anti-oxidant protection, improves your circulation, and thus it opens up your airways.
- Combined with its antibacterial and antiviral effects, eucalyptus oils are very effective remedies to combat the first signs of respiratory symptoms. You can mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil and peppermint and use it as a vaporub.
3. Reduces Pain and Inflammation
- Since eucalyptus oils have a vasodilation effect, it helps in relieving localized pain and inflammation. It provides a cooling effect to relieve the redness and temporarily coll down your pain receptors, and since it improves your circulation, it subsequently treats the inflammation.
4. Great insect and rodent repellant
- Eucalyptus oils have also been used and was proven to be an effective insect and rodent repellant. There was a study done by The Scientific World Journal stating that rats no longer went back to an area where Eucalyptus oils were sprayed.
5. Perfect for relaxation and mental focus
- People have said that putting a few drops of eucalyptus oils in their diffusers has helped them focus and gain mental clarity. This is ideal for those who have insomnia.
- Others use a bundle of fresh eucalyptus leaves and hang them in their shower. The heat from the shower helps the leaves release its oil. Those who have tried this have said they feel a soothing effect and come out of the shower invigorated and energized.
These are some of the uses and benefits of using eucalyptus oils. So what are you waiting for? If you want to try it out, you can buy it here. We look forward to hearing from you!